Monday, June 30, 2008

Diaper decks in Restaurants and other businesses

Well I've already ranted about how not family friendly many places can be regarding diaper decks etc. So I've decided to take it one step farther and start a list of the good and the bad. As I think about it, very few restaurants actually have diaper decks. Many restaurants have kids' menus or child-friendly menu choices, but very few actually have a place to change a diaper.
Bueno y Sano has kid's tacos, and smaller portions for those who want them, but no diaper deck in either of their restaurants. La Veracruzana doesn't have them either, and when I used their bathroom in Amherst it was gross. It was in the basement and the floor was unfinished shall we say, dirty and disgusting. I wasn't even willing to put the changing pad on the floor in there. I took my daughter back upstairs and my husband found a nearby restaurant or park bench to put her fresh diaper on. Pete's Seafood is a fun place to go. Even though my kid doesn't eat fish, she will eat a hot dog and fries there, but no diaper deck. High chairs, and booster seats, but no diaper deck. Burger King doesn't have a diaper deck or booster seats. Most of the Wendy's around here are closed, but the one in Hadley does not have a diaper deck. Guess who gets our business folks? McDonald's. McDonald's wins because they are the only ones with a diaper deck. When we go out for Chinese food, our favorite Chinese place does not have a diaper deck. I either have to go to the grocery store next door, or use the floor. That's too bad because they are really nice about setting us up with beginner's chopsticks when we eat-in. Usually we just get take-out though or my husband will get delivery when he is at a friend's house on Saturday nights. Atkins Farm Stand has a diaper deck, but I'm not sure if they are really a restaurant, they are really a grocery store that happens to have a place to eat. You buy your food from the deli or the bakery and then sit down if you want. I'll add them to the good guy list anyway. I'll be adding to this list again soon, as I persuade my husband to go to restaurants we don't normally frequent just so I can do my research for this list.
As I've said in other posts, most stores, department stores anyway, do have diaper decks. Home Depot stands out for having a family restroom, as does Target. Babies R Us has a mother's room for nursing and diaper changes, some Walmarts have family restrooms, some don't. Staples at least has a diaper deck I think, but it's been a while since I've been in there so I'm not sure. BJ's has a diaper deck in the handicap stall. Etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment