Friday, May 15, 2009

more old homework

I'm going through my writing class folder, and sorting through it a little bit. Here's another piece I wrote as homework. This one is about "privilege". I wrote it back in April.

I do not like the word "privilege". I am not sure what it means, or how to spell it,
or even how to pronounce it. It is not a word I am comfortable with. I do not feel
as though I have lived a privileged life or had many privileges in my life, although
I suppose I have. Dictionary.net defines the word as "1. A peculiar benefit,
advantage, or favor; a right or immunity not enjoyed by others or by all; special
enjoyment of a good, or exemption from an evil or burden; a prerogative; advantage;
franchise." So I have the privilege of having a job, of having a desk job, of
having a desk job where I can use the internet, and do personal things like
write this assignment on my lunch break. I have the privilege of having a car,
that I share with my husband. I have the privilege of having debt, a car payment,
a mortgage, two credit cards, a tuition bill for my daughter every month. I have
the privilege of having food in my house, food that will not be eaten this week
or even next week. I can afford to stock up on things when they are on sale,
and buy food that I'm not even sure if everyone will like.

I have not always had these privileges. I have been homeless, lived without a car,
and carefully purchased my groceries for exactly the number of meals that I felt
I needed to eat that week. I have had an empty refrigerator, and empty shelves,
and an empty stomach. I have been to the "Survival Center" for groceries.
I have been jobless, friendless, and alone.

I have the privilege of a husband, a daughter, good friends, and a loving family now.
For those I am most grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment