Monday, September 28, 2009

Mundane Monday- work and school stuff

Things haven't changed with our budget. We are still in limbo, waiting. Sounds like we will be waiting all semester, and hope for some news in January maybe. It's going to be a long fall.

I am starting to wonder if I should be putting my resume together. If you go by the budget numbers, we should be laying off staff, and specifically, by the numbers *I* should be the one getting laid off. We're state workers though, and once you get rid of a job, it's impossible to get it back. We've seen it happen here over and over again. So they will keep me and hope the budget improves. They are stalling. Eventually, some time next year, my boss will retire. That will be the budget cut they need. When she is gone, her salary will hopefully be redistributed but the state will still save money by not having to fill her spot. We're pretty sure that is what will happen. It seems like the script has already been written. She's not the only one leaving either. People who are still a few years away from retirement have been identified, and cross-training is due to begin to start filling the holes for when they are gone. The hiring freeze still seems mostly in effect. Sometimes it gets overridden, but the director seems to be doing a good job of balancing things. When to hire, when not to hire, tough decisions for a brain bigger than mine.

Ultimately I did fill out the form and submit it to get the 90 minute class about how to go back to school. I'm hoping it will result in some sort of appointment or something, one on one with someone, who can help me piece things together to figure out where I stand, what I've accomplished so far, and what I have left to do. Maybe there is some sort of placement tests I can take to earn credits or something. We'll see.

I did look at some job listings, just for kicks. I'm tempted to bail because I'm so bored, but I'd have to move very carefully. Family finances are delicate, and I can't afford to just "quit". So I'll probably stay, wait things out, and hope for the best a few months from now.

Given that we are going to be in limbo for so long, I might repurpose the Monday blog post for a while. Not sure if I should focus on education, or another family update, or something else. I guess I've got time to figure it out. Suggestions welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment