Someone asks me what I'm writing lately, and I say "Nothing really." It's true. I am writing, but I don't think any of this counts. What am I writing?
1. I'm writing this blog
2. I'm writing another blog, published under another name, anonymously mostly.
3. I'm writing on a message board, and I'm posting to Facebook. I am pretty sure that neither of these count as writing.
4. I'm researching, and gathering material for future writing projects. I am holding onto my dead grandmother's address rolodex thing because I think I might use some of the names in there for future writing projects "Jim, the van driver" or "Helen, the hairdresser" might be handy some day. I'm not sure if this counts as writing either, this gathering of materials. I'm also reading books about writing, and reading just books in general. The more you read, the better you write, or so somebody told me once.
5. Today I am writing a possible Wiki page. I am writing instructions on how to do something at work. I am just learning it myself, and thought that having documentation would be helpful for others who have to learn it too. I did a rough draft and showed it to a couple of people. It still needs work. I'm not sure if this "technical" writing counts for anything either. I think it should, but it's not the kind of writing that I'd like to be doing.
6. I'm still not sure I have found "my voice". I feel like I have a lot of voices, saying a lot of different things. I'm not sure how to make it seem cohesive. I know that if I read a lot of things by the same author I get bored. I don't want to be boring. I want to be interesting. Hmm... maybe I will just never be published because I'll never figure out this "voice" stuff, or the "audience" stuff either. Still, I write.