Monday, May 16, 2011

Rob Lowe "Stories I only tell my friends"

I got this book through Inter-Library Loan from one of the local libraries so I only had a short time to read it. The book did not disappoint. Once I finally had a chance to read I was able to get through it in a couple of nights.
I am not a huge fan of Rob Lowe. I don't think I've ever seen "The Outsiders" and I wasn't a big fan of "The West Wing" but the title of the book intrigued me and I thought it would be fun to learn a little about this Brat Pack member.
Rob does a good job of drawing the reader into the book in the first chapter talking about JFK Jr. and his friendship. Then once he has you he goes back to the beginning. The naming of celebrities carries on pretty heavily at times throughout. A little too heavily for me. Some people like "dish" but I wanted to hear his story not about every single celeb he ever met. He had one date with this one, another with that one.. etc. Some of the reviews on Amazon were upset how he glossed over his relationship with Melissa Gilbert and some of the other stuff. Well I didn't know he had dated her to begin with so it didn't bother me much. It's nice to see that today he seems to be doing well. He's settled, has money, and is raising his family etc.. he's not always in the spotlight but he's had enough recovery that he is going be okay. I suppose a "3 stars" would be about right. It's not the best book out there but it's entertaining and a quick read. I didn't pay for the book so the price was right.
I'm also curious now to see what I can dig up about some of the other celebs mentioned in the story like Matt Dillon and Melissa Gilbert (okay I only got interested in her after reading the reviews bashing Rob on Amazon). It's also interesting to see that Charlie Sheen was a nut even back in high school. Rob doesn't dwell on it much, but it's there.

 
Rob Lowe and wife Sheryl BerkoffImage via Wikipedia



Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment