Saturday, April 30, 2011

Joanna Russ and slash fiction

A friend of mine recently posted on Facebook that Joanna Russ had passed away. I went to Wikipedia. I understood that Joanna Russ was a writer and I like to read but I had no idea who she was. It turns out I also had no idea what "slash fiction" was. I love doing research, especially when I am doing it for my own interests. Reading about Joanna led me to learning about fan fiction, fem-slash, and slash fiction. I guess I had known about fan fiction before but the other stuff... nope. I THOUGHT I knew what slash fiction was, but it turns out I was way, way off.. embarrassingly so. So I owe my friend a "thank you" for sending me on my little journey that led to a much better understanding of what those words mean. I don't have any interest in checking out any of Joanna Russ's books from the library or even buying anything from Amazon or a local bookstore but at least I'm not quite as ignorant and uneducated as I was a few days ago.


          

No comments:

Post a Comment